The Imaging Department at University Hospital and Medical Center is staffed by Board-Certified Radiologists, trained to perform and interpret diagnostic and interventional procedures. The center provides a complete range of medical imaging procedures in general radiography and subspecialty areas. Our radiological technologists and radiologists use cutting-edge equipment that provides high-quality imaging procedures in a caring, professional, and compassionate manner. All of our technologists are registered by the American Registry of Radiological Technology, and the State of Florida. In addition, many have additional certifications in specialty areas.
The Imaging department at University Hospital and Medical Center provides the following services:
- Mammography: Mammograms are performed by dedicated Florida Licensed and Registered technologists. We are fully accredited by the American College of Radiology and the Federal Drug Administration.
The Pink Power Network provides a comprehensive approach for women with breast health needs, from comprehensive diagnostic services, to breast pain or malignancy, specialty consultations, and multidisciplinary treatment plans. The healthcare professionals at Northwest Medical Center, Plantation General Hospital, University Hospital and Medical Center, and Westside Regional Medical Center work collectively to offer preventative measures for their patients and have earned an outstanding reputation for its dedication in helping patients fight breast cancer on all fronts. Various treatments offered within the network are but not limited to:
- Nuclear Medicine: Accredited by the American College of Radiology, nuclear medicine involves the introduction of tiny amounts of radioactive tracers into the body, which are specifically designed to be attracted to the area(s) of interest. After a short waiting period (0-3 hours), a special camera is used to record the distribution of the tracer within the body. While Nuclear Medicine is generally used to diagnose, it may also be used to treat certain conditions such as hyperthyroidism.
- Interventional/ Endovascular Procedures: Interventional Radiology is a medical specialty that has been called the “Surgery of the 21st Century”. University Hospital offers a full range of Interventional/Endovascular services including Biliary and Urologic interventions, vascular access, dialysis graft maintenance, Vertebroplasty and gynecological interventions such as uterine artery (fibroid) embolization.
- Computerized Axial Tomography (CAT scan): State of the art CT imaging can only be performed with high speed helical CAT scanners. We utilize these powerful machines so examinations can be tailored to each patient’s specific individual needs allowing quicker more accurate diagnosis.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): MRI is one of the safest, most comfortable ways to obtain clear, detailed pictures of the inside of the human body without the use of x-rays, surgery or biopsy. MRI scans are painless for the patient and offer such accurate images that physicians can often obtain as much information from the MRI as if they were looking directly at the tissue.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound is the use of high frequency sound waves to create images from within the body. Images of internal organs and structures are obtained by using these sound waves. Ultrasound is also used in obstetrics where the unborn fetus can be observed.
- PET/CT: This remarkable advanced imaging technology allows physicians to make more accurate, earlier diagnoses and develop targeted treatment plans for cancer. PET/CT (Positron Emission Tomography) in conjunction with CT is a widely accepted technology that more and more patients and physicians are asking for. This is the evolution of diagnostic imaging on the molecular level.
- Osteo Van/Bone Density Screening: We provide a dedicated bone density room to perform this examination in a comfortable private setting. By appointment only. To schedule your free, non-invasive bone density screening please call 1-866-4HCA-DOCS (442-2362).
Medically necessary procedures done on an outpatient basis are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, private insurances and HMOs, although referrals may be required. The hospital’s outpatient registration staff will be glad to help you verify that your procedure is covered by your insurance provider. View the list of insurance plans accepted by the hospital.